Sunday, March 8, 2015

March 8, 1940

Dear Jean,
     Well we are again out here in the -parasite- "Paradise" of the pacific, Hawaii. We haven't quite anchored yet but will in a few minutes.
     We are getting in two days late becauase of stormy weather most of the way over here. We were even stalled for over an hour one day. What surprise me was Malcolm didn't even get sea sick. So I guess his stomach must be all right. We had about 200 new fellows on here and most of them were sick. I've only seen it rougher once since I've been in.

     This is sure getting to be a mad house. We have a new captain & commander and they sure have been strict.
     I was ashore several times in Long beach. Malc & I went ashore one day and was going to look up Juno over at Glendora but when we checked up we found it was about 50 miles from Long Beach, so we called it off.
     How are things back home? Do you hear from Doug or Jeanette? When do you expect to go to Fargo?
     Well we are now anchored. I went to the top side and the old place still looks the same. I'll sure be glad when I get my 9 months 12 days in or apparently 25,065,000 seconds HA. Malc says he likes it so far. I hope he keeps on liking it because 6 years is a long time. I think I'll go ashore Monday with Malc and look around and show him around.
     I don't think I'll make very many liberties here. I have to start saving a little money to get paid off on. Say, when do you graduate?
     Well Jean I guess i'll close for now and drop Jeanette a few lines also.
Love,
Don.

60
12120
60720
7201440
3043200
9388,800




This may be from either the USS Salt Lake City or the USS Idaho.

No comments: