Dear Jean:
I guess it's about time I was drafting you a few lines. We have been here for a few days & I've been ashore two times. Yesterday when I was walking through a park I ran into Tom He is on the "Saratoga, " an air craft carrier. We walked around the rest of the day & ate a couple of pineaples & coconuts. They only cost 10¢. You can get coconuts for nothing if you want to climb a tree after them. I tried to get Tom to go after some but they are pretty high & it is so damn hot.
It is just a small town, smaller than Lisbon & they were about 40,000 sailors there so you can imagine how it was just like the 4th of July. They were even shooting off firecrackers & of course drinking lots of beer. I only had $1.00 when I went ashore so didn't have much beer. We don't get paid until the 20th & will be at sea then until the 26th when we arrive in Honolulu.
When we get to Honolulu there are 87 of us transferring to the U.S.S. Salt Lake City (a heavy cruiser) so after the 26th I'll be a S.L.C. Sailor in stead of Idaho. We will be stationed at Honolulu T.H. (Pearl Harbor) for permanent duty so I guess I'll spend the rest of my time (20 months) out here. It isn't bad & I think I'll be able to save a little money (maybe). We are supposed to go to Frisco in Nov. to the yards & then come back out here after 3 months. I won't get any leave this fall . I sure hate to miss out on hunting but can't help it.
Well Jean I'll close for now & write when I get to Honolulu.
Love,
Don.
My address is
Donald R Campbell
USS Salt Lake City
Engineers Base
Pearl Harbor, Hawaii


No comments:
Post a Comment