Friday, April 24, 2015

April 24, 1940



Lahaina, Maui 
April 24, 1940 

Dear Jean:  

We just anchored this morning after being underway for about two weeks & we get under way tomorrow afternoon to go to Honolulu. (Pearl Harbor) The 26th 87 of us get transferred to the Salt Lake City.  


This last two weeks sure have been "hell" we went 900 miles north of here & turn around and came back to meet part of the rest of fleet & had a fake battle. All the time we were under way we had watches to stand and general quarters (battle station) & it was hotter than hell. I guess I'll have to get use to the heat if I'm going to stay out here for 20 months. 

It will give me a chance to save some money so I can go out of the Navy, at least I intend to at the present. It sure does get monotonous. My Buddy (Matie) is also getting transferred so it won't be so bad, he sureis a crazy little fellow. He acts a lot like Shorty Massey, maybe that's why I get along so good with him. He was Golden Gloves boxing champ of Minnesota in 1935.

The guys are starting to holler, mail (sugar reports) just came aboard. Maybe I'm writing my letter to soon. I might accidently have one. 

How is everything back in Jamestown? I suppose the weather is quite nice. I've got a pretty good sun burn at the present. I would have gone swimming but figured it wouldn't be good for me. Have you seen Dory lately? Do you ever hear from Malcolm or Jeanette? Well Jean I'll write more when I get located on the Salt Lake City.  
Love, 
Don 

My address will be 
DR Campbell 
USS Salt Lake City 
Engineers force




No comments: