Friday, May 1, 2015

May 1, 1940

Miss Jean L. Campbell
Trinity Hospital
Jamestown
North Dakota

May 1, 1940 

Dear Jean:


I'm just beginning to get used to my new home & so far I like it fine & I also like the job they gave me. It is far better then the work I did on the Idaho. I am in the furnace repair; there are six of us in the gang. We have 12 blowers 16 oil and water pumps & 4 air compressors to take care of. On here I don't have to stand any watches while we are at anchor & only a few when we are at sea. On the Idaho it seemed as I was always on watch.

I was ashore Sunday and bummed around Honolulu. In the afternoon, I was out to Waikiki beach but didn't have a bathing suit so didn't go swimming. I only had one bottle of beer to drink. I actually think I am reforming.

Do you ever hear from Malcolm or Jeanette? I guess maybe I owe Malc a letter. 

From what I hear the Salt Lake City is supposed to go to the Island of Guam in June, That is way over towards China. Well, as long as I can be in the states, I hope they go all over. In Nov. we are supposed to go to Frisco for three months Navy yard overhaul. But during that period we wont be able to get any leave. 

M? and I are going ashore this week end. I am sure glad he got on here too. His is the only one I ran around with much. I rate 2 out of 3 liberties with this new job, while on the island I only had 2 out of 4.  Boy how I could make use of all this liberty in Long Beach. 

How are you coming with your nursing. 

We have a ship tied along each side of us her now and will have for a couple of weeks so we have our choice of the different shores every nite. All we have to do is walk over the gangway to the different ships. It's more of a choice than I had in Lisbon. We had a Hawaiian Vaudeville show aboard a couple of nights ago. All it was was a bunch of hula gals with grass skirts and some of them were pretty nice looking too.  

Well Jean I guess I'll close for now.  
Love 
Don 

My new address 
DR Campbell 
USS Salt Lake City 
B- Division 
Pearl Harbor T. H.








No comments: