May 24, 1940.
Dear Jean:
I received your letter yesterday & also heard from Jeanette. It takes about two weeks to get any mail out here unless it just happens to make the right connections.
So far I like the S.L.C. much better than the Idaho The only thing is I'll miss out on leave this fall but I guess I had better save my money if I want to go out of the Navy. Last year it cost me $210 for that leave I had. But I sure had fun.
The 28th we leave for Guam, an island way over by the Philipenes and thereis some talk that we might go to Vienna for a while too but I doubt it very much but I sure hope so. as long as I am not in the states I hope we go all over, we might go to Samoa too??? If we just go to Guam we will be back in a month or so. We probably won't get any mail until we get back.
I took some pictures but it costs too much to have them developed here so I'm going to send them to a place in Minneapolis so I guess it will be quite some time before I get them back.
Jeanette said she applied for a job in Fargo. I wonder what kind that was? She also said Doug sold the house to Dan Hastings and that he had lost his and was going to live in ours. I never realized he was that bad off.
I was out to Wakiki beach last weekend and really had a swell time but as far as the hula gals are concerned I'll take the ones back in the States. Oh yes give the office gal a smile for me. I still hear from the little gal I met on the bus from Montana.
What are you doing for excitement? I wonder how Malcolm is making out?
I just happened to read your letter over and found out it was you that said Doug sold the house so I guess that wasn't news to you.
Last Saturday nite Max & I had a hell of a time finding a place to sleep after looking 5 hours we ended up sleeping in an army barrocks at Fort Rugger. It was raining so we couldn't sleep on the grass. All the hotels were filled up I haven't looked up Kershys(?) yet. I probably won't until we come back from Guam.
I've been going to buy some sort of a souvenir and send back but I just cant seem to ever get to it. You know how busy I can be.
Do you ever hear from Doug or Jeanette?
Well I guess I'll close for now.
Love
Don
p.s. The Idaho and the rest of the fleet was supposed to have gone back a couple of weeks ago but they are keeping them here for a while yet and some of the married men are really singing the blues. HAHA Tom Dawn is on its USS Saratoga, it is an air craft carrier & is 888 feet long & about (150?feet) wide at its top






No comments:
Post a Comment