Tuesday, May 26, 2015

May 26,1940

Sunday

Dear Jean:

We are now on the way to Guam. Guam is a small island about 5400 miles west & a little south of San Franciso. We are now quite close to the 180th maridian line. Yesterday was Friday & today is Sunday because we lost a day when we crossed th eline. That's the first six day week I've ever had but coming back we will get an 8 day week.


We are only going to stay in Guam for about 4 days then start back for Honolulu. on th eway back we are suposed to stay at the mid way islands for a day or two.

So far this has sure been a nice cruise, the weather is nice & the ocean is smoothe. We don't do much work while we are underway except run the machinery & stand watches. With this new job I have I only stood 4 hours on watch and 24 off. Of course if any of the pumps or blowers break down I have to work to get them fixed but not much goes wrong with them so I have quite a bit of time off to study and write letters & sun bathe on the top side. I'm beginning to get a good tan. 

There sure are lots of flying fish out here. Almost every time I look up and out on the water I can see some, some times about 50 in a school. 

In August I'll be eligible for second-class machinist so I've been doing a quite a little studying lately. I sure hope some rates are open when I go up so I'll have a chance to make second class.  I 'll be able to save a little money so I can go out of the Navy. 

Have you heard from Jeanette Doug or Malcolm? I haven't heard from Malc for a long time. III I'm not sure but I think he owes me a letter too. But I guess I'll drop him a few lines today. This mail probably won't leave the ship until we get close to Guam and then they will send it ashore by plane, so should be post marked 180th meridian. So if you are a souvenir collector I don't think you will ever get another letter post marked like it. 

This ship feeds a lot better than the Idaho but I am still not gaining any weight. I guess I probably I sweat it out because it is pretty warm out here and when ever I have to work in the Fire Room it is usually from 100 degrees F to 145 degrees F and maybe you think 145 degrees isn't hot. Even if you stand still you sweat like hell. They say sweating makes a person healthy so I guess I should be in peak of condition.

They are having Church on the top side this morning right back here where I am writing so I guess if I don't move I'll get in some church this morning maybe it wouldn't hurt me any. We have our picture shows every nite, some of them I have seen before but I still enjoy seeing them over.  

Well Jean I guess I'll close for now & write to Malc and Jeanette. It will probably be a month before you get this damn letter. 

Love, 
Don 

It's a quite a way from pay day & I'm almost broke so I'll send you a little spending money next time.

No comments: