Aug 19, 1940
Sunday
Dear Jean,Here it is Sunday morning and nothing to do unless I go to the wash room and scrub clothes or go to church or write letters of course. I'd like very much to go to church but I guess I had better write a few letters if you see what I mean.
We are ashore here at Lahaina for the week and it is a small town on the island of Maui and is about 15 miles from Honolulu. There is a large sugar refinery here.
I was ashore yesterday and walked all around town and through the refinery and took some pictures.
For the last 3 weeks we have been going out to sea on Monday and coming in Friday evening for the weekends. One more week out and we are supposed to stay in for a while.
I see by the Paper where they are going to split the fleet up into 3 sections and send one section at a time back to the states for two weeks each for leave and liberty. But that don't include us because we are not in the regular fleet. We are the so-called Hawaiian detachment. I think it's a darn dirty trick not to let us go back too. But we are supposed to go to the yards in Frisco for three months this winter.
Yes, Lyle Ramsey is on here. I see him once in a while and talk to him. He still seems to be a pretty good egg. He told me his sister is making more nursing than he is making in the Navy.
I sure hope Malcolm does go to school this Fall because this navy sure don't amount to much. At times it's OK but I hope I have saved enough to go out in four years. Although I'm doing pretty good. I made second-class machinist this last time so I don't have a red stripe anymore. Instead I wear a Eagle & two stripes on my sleeve. (We call it a crow.)
So Jeanette says Doug got pretty lit up the 4th. If I'd have been home I suppose I would have also but as it was I didn't even go ashore. Jeanette always has been pretty loud mouthed but she will probably wake up some time.
Malcolm said he will send me a picture of its? old home some time. I'd sure like to see it.
That's to bad about your Dann?'s eyes. Who pays for her operations? That must be pretty darn expensive When are Ronald and Lola supposed to come on their visit?
Well I guess I had better close for now and shoot Jeanette and Bernice Heglay back a letter. I guess I still owe them one.
Oh yes give the cute little office gal a cute little smile for me. Haha
Love,
Don






No comments:
Post a Comment