Wednesday, September 2, 2015

September 2, 1940

Sept 2, 1940 
Dear Jean: 
     I guess its about time I was answering your letter. I received it several days ago but am kind of slow at answering.
     No Jeanette hasn't written to me for quite a long time. I didn't even know she was in Minneapolis. Is she going to stay down there? I hope so. 

     I had about a 10 word letter from Malc. saying he was joining the Navy. I sent him a wireless and told him to wait, then I wrote a letter I don't think he will like. I still don't know if he got it or not. 
     I was ashore yesterday and ran across Bud Hager so we lifted a couple of cold ones together and shot the breeze about things back home he seems to be a pretty good kid now. While we were walking down strange the Chinese Part of town last nite some one stepped out from between the building and hit Bud over the head with a big stick it didn't quite knock him down. If I'd have been walking on the inside I'd have got hit. I ran back between the buildings and tried to catch them but got caught with a nail that was sticking out of a board and ripped my pants. I I'd have caught them I'd have broke his neck. It didn't hurt Bud only made a bump on his head. 
     I got a letter from Chrissie Munroe she is staying in Long Beach with Doug. I bought a couple of small souvenirs for you yesterday. I suppose you will get them about the same time you get this letter. I really didn't have any idea what to get. I got Jeanette about the same thing.
     No, I havent seen the hospital out here yet. (Sept. 5) I had a letter from Chrissie and Doug by the way she talked I guess Malcolm must be in the Navy. I bet he will sure hate it and now they have to stay for six years instead of four. 
     I also had a letter from Bernice Noonan, she is still in Mpls nursing but wants to come to Calif. Well if things go right we should be back in the states for armistice day and also for 3 months in the yards. But as fast as things are changing it's hard to tell where we will be by then. All we can do is hope. 
     I found out Delwin Leian is an Ensign on the USS Brookland. It's tied up about 2 blocks from us. But I don't think I'll look him up. 
     Well Jean I guess i'll close for now as I have two other letters to answer + mail leaves tomorrow. 
Love,
Don











No comments: