Sunday, September 6, 2015

September 6, 1940

Great Lakes, Ill. 
Sept. 6, 1940 

Dear Jean, 
     Well, I am in the navy now. I like it fine so far and this is to be the hardest part of the six years a man has. 
     Well, how is all with you? How do you like your job now? 

     I seen Douglas when we left Fargo for Chicago and I told him he had better write to you but I don't know if he did or not. 
     Andrew Nelson is here in the same company as I am and we have a lot of fun. 
     Have you had a letter from Don lately and if so what did he say about me and the Navy? 
     Did Jeanette get home yet? I wrote her a letter but she did not answer it. 
     I may be home in about 8 weeks on a 12 day leave, I hope.
     I eat more now than I ever did, so I guess this kind of life must agree with me. 
     I am sunburnt for the first time in 5 years and boy am I burnt. We had a shot in the arm today and now I guess we have one left. 
     I had a letter from Tom Damm today. He did not know that I joined and he was telling me how he likes the Navy and he wanted me to come to Calif and get a job but I guess he is too late now for I am tied down for six years and maybe 20 if I like it. 


Well I guess I will end for now. 
Love 
Malcom 
M.D.Campbell 
U.S. Naval Training Station 
Company 69 
Great Lakes Ill.

Miss Jean L Campbell 
Jamestown North Dakota 
Trinity Hosp. 
Not for 215 6th St. S.W.

M.D. Campbell 
U.S. Naval Training Station 
Company 69 
Great Lakes Ill.




No comments: