Sunday Aug 4.
Dear Jean
The last letter I wrote was a pretty hurried one as I was in a hurry to go ashore. You know after being out at sea for a while a fellow gets anxious to get on the beach.
Did you have a good vacation? I suppose it was hell to back to the grind again.
I had a letter from Malcolm a couple of days ago telling me about his vacation. I guess he had a pretty good time. He still asks me about joining the Navy. I know darn well he would hate it.
I guess in the next three weeks we are suppose to be at sea almost every day. I'd sure like to see them go to Long Beach but I guess there's not a chance. The Idaho back to ??? to the yards for a few days but are due back out here in a couple of weeks.
The chow is still lousy on here but it has been a little better in the last few days. Maxil and I went ashore last week and each ate 2 T-bone steaks in one meal and all the spuds and stuff with them. It sure served good to get a belly full of good chow again.
I can't imagine Douglas working on a farm during his vacation. Haha. Did he come to Lisbon while you were there? How did you go to from Jamestown. Did you ride a bus or catch a ride with someone.
Lyle Ramsey is out here and has been for about a month. He is an Engineer. I was up in his room for a couple of hours and shot the breeze. I also had another letter from Betty Eldrige.
I heard Jean Davis had another operation on her eyes. I sure hope it turns out a success. Was she home while you were there?
Malc said he will send me a picture of it and home. Id sure like to see it since Dan Hastings fixed it up. Did you get to go inside?
Well the 16th of this month I should find out if I made second class machinery or not. There was only 2 or 3 of us that even passed the exam. Of 2 heard mine were the only ones sent in without a request for a note so I should have a fairly good chance.
Did you go swimming a boat riding while you were home? I haven't been swimming for about a month now.
Well Jean I guess I'll close for now as it is about chow time and I'd sure hate to miss out on the delicious chow they serve. It's probably beans or something just as bad.
Love
Don








No comments:
Post a Comment