Sunday, October 18, 2015

October 18, 1940

Oct. 18, 1940 
Dear Jean: 
     I received your letter today and also one from Jeanette. It's the first time Jeanette has written for quite some time. 
     Jeanette said the Danor's were in a car accident on their way to Fargo. I sure hope none of them are hurt serious. 

     Did you get a chance to see Mildred & the boy? Jeanette said the boy is quite a fellow. Has Jeanette written to you lately? I usually send her a dollar or two when I write, so when she don't write neither do I HaHa. So when I don't write she don't get any money, which I suppose she has found out by now. 
     We were out every day last week but anchored near Honolulu every nite. I was ashore one nite & had a few cold ones. I guess we go out all next week too but we want anchor nites. 
     In almost 28 days we should be on our way back to the Mare Island Navy Yard in Frisco. I hope things are changing so fast it's hard to tell what will happen next. 
     Jeanette said Aunt Enola has been pretty ill. I hope she is OK now. 
     It's getting cooled off here a little now. It even feels good to have a blanket some nites. There for a while it was so damn hot I'd sweat all nite. 
     How much time have you got left before you are through. I now have 1 year 2 mos & 3 days if we don't go to war. It will be a quite a while before Malc will be able to say that but I guess he is probably as well off in here as he was in Lisbon. I sure hope he gets to go to a Pharmacy school. He should be almost through training by now. I hope he gets his boot leave and is able to go home. 
     I'd sure like to be home for hunting this year but now I don't expect to get home until I get paid off. Jeanette said the fellows are shooting lots of Pheasants this year too. 
     Jeanette also said Lorraine Leach also crunched Dave Patterson's car. I imagine Lorraine is getting to be quite a rounder by now. She always was pretty bold & clever. 
     I hardly ever saw any two dollar bills back there but in the navy there are quite a few of them because they usually pay partly in $2 bills. 
     Well Jean it's about time for the movies to start so I'll close for now. Tonite I have my choice of 4 different shows because there are three ships tied alongside of us, & we can go from one to the other. Our show is "My Little Chickadee" with Mae West but I've already seen it so I guess I'll go to one of the others. 
Love, 
Don. 
P/S, 
I just got a letter from Max. I guess he will get to Salt Lake City.












1 comment:

-Dustin said...

I love this letter so much! First: the Mae West clip cracks me up. Second: the 1 year, 2 months & 3 days when he gets out of the Navy "if we don't go to war" expires on 12/21/1941. That's exactly 2 weeks after Pearl Harbor will be bombed.