Friday, November 6, 2015

November 6, 1940

Great Lakes, Ill.
Sept. 6, 1940
Dear Jean,
     Well I am in the navy now. I like it fine so far, and this is to be hardest part of the six years a man has.
     Well, how is it all with you? How do you like your job now?
     I seen Douglas when we left Fargo for Chicago and I told him he had better write to you but I don't know if he did or not.
     Andrew Nelson is here in the same company as I am, and we have a lot of fun.
     Have you had a letter from Don lately and if so what did he say about me and the navy?
     Did Jeanette get home yet? I wrote her a letter but she did not answer it.
     I may be home in about 8 weeks on a 12 day leave, I hope.
     I eat more now than I ever did, so I guess this kind of life must agree with me.
     I am sunburnt for the first time in 3 years and "boy" am I burnt. We had a shot in the arm to day and now I guess we have just one left. 
     I had a letter from Tom Damm today. He did not know that I joined and he was telling me how he likes the Navy, and he wanted me to come to Calif. and get a job, but I guess he his too late now for I am tied down for six years and maybe 20 if I like it. 
Well, I guess I will close for now
Love,
Malcolm
M. D. Campbell






No comments: