Wednesday, December 9, 2015

December 9, 1940

Dec 9, 1940 
Dear Jean: 
      I received your letter a few days ago and now that I'm getting around to answering it I can't find it, so don't know if I'll answer every thing you asked or not. 
     I was down to Long Beach Sat and Sunday and caught a hell of a cold riding in the car but I guess I'll outlive it. There is a heck of a lot of flu out here so I'll probably have that too before its all over. Some of the schools are shut down. 

     I saw Hanna Anderson her husband and Blanch while I was in Long Beach. I guess Malc wasn't up there that day or I'd have seen him also. 
     I heard from Jeanette and Malcolm both today, and Malc really writes a short letter. 
     I tried to get 20 days leave beginning in Jan but can only get 10 days. If I'd have been able to get 20, I think I would have come home. but there is too damn much work to do. 
     This is really paradise compared to Honolulu even though I've been freezing ever since we came back. Maybe it's a good thing I can't go home. 
      I've been going ashore quite often over here. In fact too damn much. In the last 2 nites I've had 3-1/2 hours sleep. So this letter will be quite short. Have you heard from Doug yet? I never hear from him but I never write either so I guess we are even. 
     It sure seems good to be back here where the gals are sociable again and there really are some cute ones over here. I'm suppose to have a date with one tomorrow nite but if I don't feel better by then I'll call it off. 
     I'm not buying any Xmas presents this year so am sending a couple of dollars. Please don't bother about anything for me as I really have every thing I need. Just save your dough. 
Love, 
Don.





No comments: