Monday, December 7, 2015

December 7, 1940

San Diego, Calif. 
Dec. 7, 1940 

Dear Jean, 
     I guess it is about time I am writing you a few lines. 
     I am still in San Diego and like it fine. But how are you making out? 
     I do not know just when I will go to sea but I think it will be soon for 350 of us came out here from the lakes and I am about the only one left. 

     My writing is not so hot for I am writing on my bunk. We have double deck bunks and I sleep on the top one. We live in little shacks 16 men to a shack. 
     We do most of our business on a ship the name of it is the U.S.S. Rigel it is a rather large one. 
     Will you get home for Xmas or is it going to be like all the other Campbells just can't make it. 
     What did you hear from Jeanette and how is she making out in school this year? 
     How cold is it in North Dak. this year? and how much snow as much as other years? It is about 85 here now and this is winter. It does not seem as though it is almost xmas for I have not seen snow since I was up in the mts. about three weeks ago. 
     We get a lot of interesting work here. Yesterday I was out on a tug and pumped air to some deepsea divers they were down 4 hrs and boy was that hard work, but it is something to know you can do a good days work when it is done. 
     This week and I think I will go to the zoo or out to the big observatory, the one we studied on the current event in the 8 grade. 
     Well I guess I will stop for it is about time for more chow 
Love 
Malcolm 
P.S. Did you get that gift I sent you. I left it at the drug store for the girl to mail it and I was just wondering if she did or not. 
My mail comes to 
M.D. Campbell 
C/o Dave Suter






No comments: