Monday, December 21, 2015

December 21, 1940

Dec. 21, 1940
Dear Jean 
     I am just writing you a few lines to let you know that I am OK. and like it fine. 
     I have been here with Don for about two weeks and I think he likes it better than he says he does in his letters. 

     I think we will be here for about a month or a month and a half yet and then where we go do not know. 
     I am in the same division Don is in and like it fine. I work with a fine group of boys. 
     Did you get the package I sent you from San Diego? I gave it to the girl at the drug store to mail for me and I was just checking up to see if she sent it or not. 
     Has it been cold this winter and has it snowed much We have had rain here for the past 3 or 4 days.  
     I have just been ashore once since I got here for my pay accounts did not show up yet so I did not get paid. 
     What do you hear from the rest of the family? 
     I think when I get paid I will go out and hang on a good one. 
     Life on a ship is about what I expected. 
     How is Jeanette getting along in school this year? 
     How are you getting along with your training this year. 
     I have not had any news from home since I was home on boot leave and I think it may be a year and a half before I get home again but you can't tell it may be sooner and it may be later. 
     Don's boss loaned me $100. He is sure a nice fellow. 
     We put up our Xmas tree to-day and it is sure nice, better than any back home I bet. Well guess I will wash some clothes. 
Love, 
Malcolm. 
M.D. Campbell, 
USS Salt Lake City, B-div., 
Mare Island Navy Yds., 
Vallejo, Calif.



No comments: