Tuesday, February 23, 2016

February 23, 1941

Feb 23, 1941. 
Dear Jean, 
     I received your letter yesterday and also one from Jeannette. We leave here this afternoon and go to Frisco and take on fuel oil and leave for Long Beach to-nite. We stay in Long Beach until the 28th then leave for the "Paradise of the Pacific" HaHa (Honolulu). I'd sure like to stay in Long Beach for a few days longer but no luck. 
     Makie finally got back from the hospital a couple of days ago. He looks OK but his jaw is still swollen up, and his teeth don't quite mesh right. He got his jaw broke in a fight. After he had knocked the fellow down and was walking back to the bar the fellow got up and hit him when he didn't even see him. 
     Max and I was ashore Fri. nite and had a couple of beers. Max was ashore with a kid on the North Hampton. They are tied alongside of us. He is from Enderline (Herb Cook). I know his cousins.
     We went on our trial run yesterday for about 6 or 8 hours. Every thing seemed to work pretty good after an overhaul. Mac didn't even get sea sick but it wasn't very rough. There was quite a few of the "Boots" new guys that were sick. 
     I wonder how Doug likes army life? I think the band will have it pretty easy. I'll bet it will really suit Shorty. 
     I gave your letter to Mac to read and haven't got it back so I forgot if you asked any questions so if you did I'll answer in my next letter. 
     I really have to hurry and finish because the mail closes in a little and I also have to write to my little Norwegian gal in Lisbon. Oh yes, give the office gal a smile for me. 
Love, 
Don. 
You can send my next mail to Honolulu.




No comments: